Tie Dye Tri

(Pictures are in reverse order. Sorry. Too tired to fix it)

We woke up early, well 5:00am isn’t really “early” post-baby, but I’ll pretend. Today was the long awaited day of our sprint triathlon for Team Finn. 500 yd swim, 12 mile ride, 5K run.

We raised over $1500 THANKS TO YOU! So, thank you. Really.

Swim comes first, then the bike, then the run. I felt like a farm animal being branded with a race number on my arms and thighs, my age on my right calf. We obediently lined up like cattle (of all shapes, ages and sizes) as we waited our turn to dump off into the pool and prove ourselves amongst the other athletes and onlookers.

Some highlights:

  •  Joey did SO WELL! Despite the fact that he dried off with the wrong towel (armpits, crotch and all) before he realized he was at the wrong bike (sorry other athlete!) and that he headed off running in the wrong direction, he still surpassed his goal of 1:20 and came across the inflatable finish line at 1:17 and SIXTH in his age group. So proud of that man! The months of training definitely paid off.
  • I didn’t do as well as I’d have liked. I finished in 1:25, five minutes past my goal. BUT, I got fourth in my age group! My public goal was to finish, but my personal goal was under 1:20. I had a few glitches in each of the events, so that’s my excuse; but really, I just didn’t make it happen.
  • I wasn’t prepared for the wake created by the other swimmers during the swim and gulped down quite a bit of chlorine. I also had to stop once to dump out my goggles. Hate that.
  • I took off on the bike with vim and vigor. This is my best event. But as soon as I swung my leg over the saddle and sped away, I heard this loud clicking. It wasn’t my chain. I stopped my bike on the side of the road but couldn’t figure it out so I just continued on. I tried to tune it out, hoping my bike wasn’t falling apart. The sound changed 3/4 of the way through the ride and I just knew my bike was going to eject me head over handlebars any moment. I was so paranoid that I slowed down quite a bit. I certainly didn’t “ride like I stole something” as I had intended. This was the most disappointing for me of my events.
  • Running. Oh, running. I felt the pain shoot through my knees immediately. BOTH knees this time. I was sure I was going to have to walk, but made it my new goal not to. And once my legs went numb at about mile 2.5, I knew I could press on. Joey passed me at the turn-around. Dang him. But I was secretly proud. I knew I needed a distraction from my breaking knees, so I prayed for Finn from his toes to his brain. What a sweet time of purposeful prayer for my little man! And whenever I wanted to stop and walk, I just thought of Finn and how he’d probably trade my pain-stricken legs for his paralyzed ones any day. I sprinted the last 100 yds to the finish line and heard the cheering of my parents, Joey, Finn and our friend Laura with her precious kids, Ali and Aaron supporting their daddy, Dustin (Joey’s training buddy).

Not sure I’ll ever do a triathlon again. I’ve got ice on both knees and I’m hobbling around the house. Maybe I’ll just stick to cycling; but it was a great opportunity to support the Spina Bifida Association and a blessing to be able to push my body. Always feels good to be “spent.”


4 thoughts on “Tie Dye Tri

  1. What a wonderful example you are for us all. After reading your posts each time I feel blessed and thankful that you share your trials, tribulations and triumphs with us. Thank you so much!

  2. Pingback: Second Tri | our invincible summers

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s